imagine if china, while they’re up on the moon, decides to knock down the US flag or whatever just to say ‘screw you’ and its like, what are we gonna do? spend a couple million just to fly some craft up to the moon and re-erect the flag? the whole scenario would be petty and that’s hilarious
i have lived in america my entire life and i am 100% sure we would do exactly that
Yes. We would.
if you’re ever having problems with a boy just remember that at least he never converted his entire country to protestantism just to break up with you
oh my fucking god
SCREAMING BECAUSE I LOVE HISTORY.
HERE IT IS
A BUDDY ROAD TRIP MOVIE STARRING LINCOLN AND HIS CABINET
"Moreover, popular narratives about the end of [legally sanctioned black, U.S slavery] erase[s] the agency of black people themselves.
And, I suppose we can say that if Lincoln did not really free the slaves, he was shrewd enough to recognize that the only hope of winning the civil war resided in pre-aiding the opportunity for black people to fight for their own freedom.”
Happy President’s day, ya’ll!
i remember our seventh grade teacher told us this and i was like holy shit
This is super important to remember but we should also note that:
1) some enslaved people in border states were freed in light of the Emancipation Proclamation, because slaveholders in the border states either misinterpreted the proclamation or saw where it was all headed.
2) Last year’s Lincoln Prize winner, Jim Oakes’s Freedom National, argues that the real impact of the Emancipation Proclamation is not the traditional narrative of the freeing of all slaves, but the part that allows them to serve in the military. That is the recognition of agency on Lincoln’s part, and sets up an ongoing discussion about acceptance of ex-slaves as citizens (for those in the North.)
These are John Cullum’s imdb credits
he played William Clark, Edward Rutledge and Aaron Burr in a row
his career looks like a more historically-unified version of Benjamin Walker’s (Alfred Kinsey, Andrew Jackson, Abraham Lincoln)
Happy Presidents’ Day
aka my favorite holiday of the year, because I get to share all these wonderful stories like:
-Thomas Jefferson once got a headache that lasted several days after an encounter with a woman he admired didn’t go well.
- Calvin Coolidge loved to window-shop
- James Buchanan read extensively until late in his life, when he suddenly lost all interest in books
- George Washington was stiff and awkward with girls
- Teddy Roosevelt hated dirty jokes, and would leave in the middle of a conversation if he thought one was going to be told
- John Quincy Adams apparently had a “discriminating palate” and was once able to correctly identify 11 of 14 Madeiras
so CELEBRATE! My askbox will be open- stick a president in there, and I will give you a fact about him!
Why did nobody tell me that Hamilton was literally the biggest fucking drama queen of all the founding fathers?
Founding Fathers History Pickup Lines (in 2012)
Happy Valentine’s Day from your favorite founders.